Friday, June 3, 2011

Book Review:Spiritual Warfare

I've decided when I finish a good book to highlight it on here. It's a good way to document the points that stuck with me and give others food for thought.

I just finished A Parent's Guide to Spiritual Warfare by Leslie Montgomery. I picked it up at CBD on clearance for $3. I am new to this author and while I did not agree with her theology on generational sin, the rest of the book was very good. Here are some highlights that struck me....
  • If your children see that life's challenges are overcoming you, rather than your overcoming them, they will gravitate toward the world's way of coping.
  • What our world truly needs is for couples to choose God's way instead of the world's way.
  • Satan attacks believers and it normally includes confusion, accusations, feelings of rejection, condemnation, discouragement and hopelessness.
  • God's testing is different from an attack as there is no confusion but rather clarity. We may not see clearly the choice to make but we walk by faith.
  • When our kids respond or act in a repetitive, negative pattern there is a negative core belief behind that area that needs to be replaced with truth.
  • We'd never dream of withholding food from a developing child, and yet that is exactly what we do spiritually if we don't give them the Word of God.
  • Training our children in spiritual warfare focuses not on the Devil and his methods but on the genuine power and promises of Christ. Only after knowing the truth can our children spot from afar the Devil's counterfeit.
There was a great section in the book that really went through Ephesians 6 and explained the armor of God.

Overall, anytime God's kingdom is moving forward, Satan attacks. Every time a child enters a Christian home, as parents we must be equipped for battle because an attack will come. As a parent, I need to pray more for the covering over my husband, children, and home.

No comments:

Post a Comment