Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Connected or Disconnected?

I've realized more and more lately how our society is so connected via cell phones, internet, Facebook, text messaging, ect that we are actually so disconnected. We have lost the personal touch of a phone call to check in, a visit to chat, and dare I say a hand written note of encouragement.

I watch people in public talking while driving, checking out at a store, texting while at a dining table with family. We are always plugged in.

I know I am the odd one out but I do not like Facebook. I think relationships on Facebook have substituted for real life relationships. This may not be true of everyone but I see a lot of that going on. I know 2 other families who like ours have committed to not joining Facebook (for several reasons). One of them called me last month to let me know that we were "officially losers." She read that even the Queen of England was on Facebook!

All this to say, I am making it a personal goal to work on real life in person relationships. There is nothing like weekly long distance phone calls to pray with a friend, having a friend over just sitting on the floor chatting for hours while playing baby, calling a friend to see how they are really doing; did the insomnia go away, how's your marriage, do you need a meal?

I'm not saying I have mastered this. When I look at my list of friends I've lost touch with several. But, I am working on this and making it a personal goal...to care for others in real life. During my struggles I have been loved on in person while being real...I want to return the blessing.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, yes, yes. I second your statements. Let's get connected!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brandy you are so right- scary what "relationships" have come to. Nothing can fill someones cup like true quality time-time that makes you and another stop to set aside a moment. What else better (or easier) to tell/show someone "you are so important to me that I stopped everything for you". Yes those moments are true blessings in life.

    ReplyDelete