Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Book Review: Roaring Lambs by Bob Briner

I've been trying to gather my thoughts on this book for well over a week. I think I have a love hate relationship with it. I totally get what the author is saying yet at the same time I totally disagree. So, I'll try to share my thoughts....

The overall premise of the book is that we as followers of Christ, born again Bible believing Christians, we need to go into all the world and preach the Good News, be a light, and make a difference. I totally agree.

The premise that we are all salt is solid. The pastor is no more salty than the gardener. The teacher no more salty than the mechanic. The Elder no more salty than the garbage collector. As Christians we are all salt. I totally agree.

The premise that Christians are missing from the scene of voicing their opinion and beliefs in todays society I agree with also. So often we don't speak up for truth when it isn't in our comfort zone.

Okay, that takes me through the beginning of the book. This is where I start to struggle. The author continues to go through the areas of society where there is no salt; movies, tv, literature, and art. Briner practically blames the current state of media & the arts on Christians for removing themselves from these arenas. He also states that Hollywood does not have an anti-Christian/liberal agenda. And this my friends is where I wholeheartedly disagree.

Briner says we need to encourage our children to be christian movie writers, authors, artists, ect. I would agree that Christian movies, literature, and art would be wonderful. As a mom, I could not in all wisdom direct my daughter to Hollywood to act or write. Briner says there is no hidden agenda so our children aren't in harms way in Hollywood but again I disagree. I see a liberal agenda, I see drugs, alcohol, sex, and ungodliness.

Because I believe that there is an agenda, I believe that a few Christians in Hollywood will not restore morality and purity that God so desires for His people. I also believe that as people living in a time closer to the return of Jesus, we are going to continue to see these arenas grow darker.

Briner also talks about the negative effect boycotting has. Now, those who know me know I am an activist at heart. I don't shop at Ambercrombie and the like due to immodesty, Old Navy & Home Depot due to supporting homosexuality...my list can go on. I do not give the money God has entrusted to me to places that actively oppose Him. I believe in fleeing from evil and standing for what is morally pure and right. I believe in voicing truth through boycotting, letters, petitions, ect so clearly Briner and I disagree here.

Lastly, I feel Briner many times offers up options to water down our stances. To compromise. Briner talks about writing books that secular audiences would publish and read and the need to be well rounded and read secular books so our children see us balanced. Personally, I don't want to be balanced. I want to be like Jesus.

Love it and hate it all at once. I won't compromise. I won't fill my mind with the secular ideas and agendas of this world. I won't steer my children into an environment that is without doubt anti-Christian.

Those are my thoughts on Roaring Lambs ...I am a roaring lamb just not as Bob Briner would ask me to be.

1 comment:

  1. im sorry but not shopping at a store because of what they support is the dumbest thing ive heard today lmao

    ReplyDelete