Monday, February 13, 2012

Book Review: I Still Believe

Another book I asked for this Christmas....books were my thing this year. I STILL BELIEVE by Jeremy Camp sparked my interest simply due to my love for music. After reading this book what I have learned is that I absolutely LOVE the stories of musicians. So often the lyrics they write and sing stem from a deep place as they walk with the Lord. Haven known pieces of Jeremy Camps testimony, it was a treasure to read.

As you read of his parents battle as they came to Christ, his poor upbringing, his marriage and death of his first wife, the taking off of his music career and the marriage of his second wife and birth of his daughters, you can not help but see God's hand. He walked by faith alone. I have a deep respect for Jeremy and his willingness to have his yes on the table even in the valleys of life. An inspirational read of a brother in Christ who only wants what God wants.

This review would not be complete without mentioning his second wife, Adie (from The Benjamin Gate). What a devoted woman to know that though she is now his wife that the testimony God gave him involves his first wife. To embrace that testimony shows you her heart for Christ as well.

Lastly, a quote from the end of the book. "As for me and my house, that is our heart: to love Jesus more each day and to share his faithfulness wherever we go. I can't love anyone unselfishly if I'm not spending time with God and in the Scriptures. That can only happen through and by the Holy Spirit at work in my life. When we spend time with the Lord and let Him speak into our lives we can't help but then go out and love our neighbor as ourselves. And all of us living this out would make the world such a different place." (pg. 122, 123) Oh, how this speaks how we feel. Everything in the Christian life comes from knowing Jesus intimately. That must be first before we can love anyone else...we must love our God.

One of the songs written by Jeremy during the death of his first wife...
Will I believe you when you say, your hand will guide my every way.
Will I receive the words you say, every moment of every day.
I will walk by faith, even when I can not see.
Because this broken road prepares your will for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment