Monday, February 6, 2012

Where are You?

Over the weekend, we finally watched Courageous. The movie coupled with some thoughts rolling around in my head have led me to this post. I like blogging because I can get the thoughts from my head and heart onto "paper". Even if no one reads or comments it is therapeutic to me.

I've been struggling lately with how much the Church looks like the world. How "seeker friendly" the Church is becoming. When I say Church, I mean the big "C" church. American Christianity. I know I have mentioned this before so it is no surprise but why are we watering down the gospel? Why are we making church "fun" and "entertaining"? Why are our kids not opening he Word of God on Sunday morning? Why does worship time have to be so loud and contemporary? Why do kids need rewards to come with a Bible? Why do they need to play xbox and wii while parents talk? Why do we have to use secular influences and media to win our kids to coming to church? Why do we look like the world?

I've had parents tell me that as my child(ren) grow, I will allow them to watch all "those" movies, listen to secular radio, go to "those" dances...the list can go on. Really? Why? I'm told we can't keep them away from all of that forever. Really? What about being in the world not of the world? What about not conforming to the pattern of this world (Rom. 12:2). What about hating what is evil and clinging to what is good (Rom. 12:9)?

All those thoughts coupled with the movie this weekend as well as an awesome Sunday sermon (2/5/12 Kenmore Alliance Church - Ephesians) has led me here.

The movie wakes up dads to the role they have in the family. Of the role God designed for them and them alone. Dads are vital in the role of the family. They are the head of the Christian home. The tag line is, "so where are you men of courage?" It's a wake up call to the men and dads to love God, love their wives, and love their kids by being active and leading them in the way they should go.

The question spinning in my head today is "So where are you families of Courage?" Where are you? Won't you stand firm, be set apart, and look different than the world we live in? Won't you choose God's standards over mans? Will you set your eyes on things above and not on this earth (Col. 3:2)?

Are you willing to be a family of courage and choose the narrow road over the broad road traveled by many?

No comments:

Post a Comment