Saturday, February 20, 2010

The Spirit of God

Fracis Chan has some seriously good stuff to say. After reading Crazy Love and agreeing with much of what he had to say, I tackled Forgotten God. I haven't read two books back to back so fast in a long time!

Forgotten God talks about how we have ignored the Holy Spirit. I don't think many believers would argue belief in the Spirit or the fact that as believers we are empowered by the Holy Spirit. Yet, do we really walk around as though the Spirt of the living God is literally living inside of us? Francis says, "imagine what it would be like to have Christ standing beside you in the flesh, functioning as your personal Counselor. Imagine the peace that would come from knowing you would always receive perfect truth and flawless direction from Him. Why do we assume that this would be any better than the literal presence of the Holy Spirit?" Now there is food for thought. Though I know I believe in the Spirits dwelling in me and have evidenced the Spirit at work in my life, I have not internalized the idea that Christ is literally in me.

From there Francis talked about quenching the Spirit; a topic I have discussed before with many people. Seeing I have issues with what other people think about me, Francis put it into perspective for me..."We think about making our friends mad or not being accepted or being thought of as different or strange. But rarely do we consider whether our actions or lifestyle are grievous to the Spirit of the living God." I had never seen my care for others opinions as trumping my care of God's opinion but in this text, I see how off base I am in my ways.

So, though I never would have considered myself a Spirit quencher, I am. Are you?

Spirit of the living God, I long to live a life that is fully yours. Do your work in me so that I may be a temple of your Spirit that brings you glory and honor. Empty me of all of me so that I can be filled with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment