Monday, February 22, 2010

Gang Member or Church Member

In Forgotten God, Francis Chan talks about a former gang member who was coming to his church. He had a relationship with Jesus but had stopped attending services. When asked why, here was his response….


“When I joined the church, I thought it was going to be like joining a gang. You see, in the gangs we weren’t just nice to each other once a week—we were family.”


Ouch.


This made me think of the current state of the American church and really, this mans comments are correct.


How is it that someone can go through cancer, a miscarriage, a divorce and not feel supported by their church family?


How is it that a family has no food in their cupboard and they feel ashamed to ask for help from their church family?


Why are we not rejoicing together, suffering together, grieving together?


After reading this section of Forgotten God, hearing recent stories from friends, and having felt alienated from the church myself, my eyes are opened to what my role as a “family” member is. To love one another deeply, to carry each others burdens, to be willing to get involved in messy situations, to step out of my comfort zone and into His.


Lord, Give me eyes to see the needs of those around me. Show me the steps I need to take to me your hands and feet to them. Help me reflect you into the lives of those around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment