Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Book Review: Created to be His Help Meet by Debi Pearl

I tried, really I did. I heard about this book. I bought it. I started reading it. And that is when it all changed. My spirit sent up red flags from the beginning. I couldn't put it all into words but I kept coming back to hubby and sharing nuggets that left me dazed and confused. I made it 4 chapters before stopping. I quit. I never quit in the middle of a book but this one is harmful. I do not recommend it.

Since that time, I have googled the book (wish I did that first and saved my $10) and seen the controversy. I have to agree with much of what this blog states..."Created to Be His Help Meet" discussion.

I am huge on submission of wives to husbands. I am huge on finding ways to help ease my husbands load seeing I am blessed to be home. I am huge on wives respecting their husbands. I am huge on working on making your marriage glorious.

I am not huge on being a doormat, on my sole identity being in my role as a helper to my husband. What happened to being created in God's image? That is where my created purpose and identity lie, in Christ ALONE.

My other hang up with the book other than the inaccurate biblical portrayal of wives, is the language used. How does a godly women use language like "hussy and wench?"

Oh, how I could go on. The numerous letters of cheating husbands was discouraging but even more so were the responses. How we (women) have to compete for our husbands love and attention. How we should pursue a cheating husband with "aggressive intimate times" to win him over and not assume he is ours because of marriage vows is totally disturbing to me.

Ahhhh.....what a dangerous book for the new wife just looking for practical ways to be her husbands helper. Don't read the book...just go mow his lawn, take out the garbage or pack him a nice lunch....doing something loving, respect him (especially in front of others), and simply ask, how can I help you today?

No comments:

Post a Comment