Monday, September 12, 2011

Book Review: Turn Up the Heat by Kevin Leman

After my last failed attempt to read a marriage book (see previous post) I grabbed for another book. Drew asked what I was reading and I answered,"Turn Up the Heat." He said something like...ohhhh. I responded, "After that last book I figured a book on sex has to be good!"

I bought this book because it was on the damaged list at Christianbook.com. Plain and simple...a cheap book to meet my free shipping limit! I like Dr. Leman and have seen him speak twice. The book was good but not great. His books, Sex Begins in the Kitchen and Sheet Music were great. This one was just ok for me.

The book is laid out in a Q&A style. He writes only a page or two and then has letters submitted with his response. I didn't find any earth shattering revelation or big ah ha moments in the book. A lot of the book covered areas of struggle in marriage and the sexual relationship...we are pretty ok in that department.

So, my take away from this book were:
  • A reminder that Sex is important and needs to be a priority....no matter how tired you are or how much the kids have touched on you all day.
  • Routine Sex=Happy Marriage
  • Sex=less visual temptation for our husbands...let's be real. They are wired visually and this world of 2011 isn't helping them any. I sat in a wedding Saturday and if you turned your head to the left all you saw was a young woman's breast in your face...in church.
  • Ladies, especially us Jesus loving ladies, need to step it up in the modesty department. Teach it to our children. Why do we see teens in church with shorts barely covering their tush?
Oh, I could get on my soapbox. The point is, the book was another great reminder of the importance of sexual intimacy in marriage. As a mom, it is so easy to put this on the back burner and use up all our time, energy, and affection on the kids but that is not what the Bible instructs us to do.

Now that I wrote this, you all know what area I am working on right now ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment