Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Book Review: The Excellent Wife by Martha Peace

When my last try at a "wifey" kinda book failed, I was hesitant to pick this one up from my pile. So glad I did. I added The Excellent Wife: A Biblical Perspective by Martha Peace to my list of must read books.

The book is broken down into four main parts:
Part One: A Wife's Understanding (foundational truths about God)
Part Two: A Wife's Responsibility (a wife's commitments)
Part Three: A Wife's Submission
Part Four: A Wife's Special Concerns (Emotional Challenges)

For me, the book was an easy read. The text is packed with scripture throughout and what sold me is that she used only ONE bible translation (NASB)!! She didn't pick and choose translations to make her point. She allowed the authority of God's written Word to speak truth on it's own...Amen to that!

I won't even touch on the meat of this book so really, pick up a copy and read it. I think it is a great book to give newly married women. With Submission being such a distorted concept in 2011 she illustrates and explains it perfectly in line with scripture. She talks about love, respect, submission, sex, bitterness, communication, and conflict to name a few topics.

So, just a few take-aways for me to share....
  • What can I give without expecting thanks or recognition? Hmmm....this goes for all relationships. So often we look at giving from a selfish stand point. I want to work on giving without being noticed...you know how sometimes you just want someone to thank you that clean clothes keep appearing in their rooms...I need to learn to give as a mom/wife without recognition.
  • An excellent wife does not respond based on mood-she is consistent. I have to say, I'm a moody bugger. I know I respond based on mood to both my husband and children. Another area to take notice of and work on.
  • "Often wives presumptuously judge their husbands and react based on what they think their husbands are thinking...Instead of judging his motives, give him the benefit of the doubt and place his action in the best possible light." (pg. 190)
  • "God's Word is the final authority for the practice of your life. You may in fact, be very active in your church and still not be doing what the Lord told you to do through His Word." (pg. 181) This was one of those sobering thoughts that jump off the page. I can remember seasons of being so "busy" with church that you aren't in the Word listening. In this season of life where I have stepped back from the "business" of church, I hear better and fulfill my roles better.
Those are only tiny nuggets that pulled at my heart. The meat of what a biblical wife looks like is there for you to explore on your own. I leave you with this thought from 1 Corinthians 13:

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

What area of love do you need to work on? Patience? Anger? Trust? Pride? Pick one and start working on it today by the grace of God. we can all become an Excellent Wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment