Sunday, September 4, 2011

Book Review: The Mission of Motherhood by Sally Clarkson

I was first "introduced" to Sally Clarkson when trying to figure out what my "method" for homeschooling was. I wasn't until I stumbled across Educating the WholeHearted Child by Clay and Sally Clarkson that I could put into words what I felt about homeschooling. Since then I have read two other books by Sally with the latest being, The Mission of Motherhood: Touching Your Child's Heart for Eternity.

What I like about this book is that Sally Clarkson understands the design God intended for the family. In today's culture of self, Sally expresses the need for us moms to be moms. She says how in the beginning and up to a decade or two ago, "motherhood was seen as a noble & important calling. Women considered themselves blessed to bear many children, and it was considered normal & good for home & family to be the central focus of a women's life." That is not true of today's culture. Women are looked down upon for being "just a mom." Society is pushing women to consider not having children and painting a picture of children as a burden. Some restaurants, movie theaters, and grocery stores are beginning to ban children/babies from their establishments. I believe that children are a blessing from the Lord even though society is leaning away from this truth.

In society today, many parents don't parent. Families join every activity, every sport, every chance to put their kids under the care of another. Selfishness with our time drives so many to ignore the needs of their children. This example is drastic but just yesterday this was the news, a Mom leaves kids in hot car to go tanning. Seriously? Tanning was so important that a baby sat in a hot car, alone?

I believe it is a mom's role to be with her kids. I'm not saying that working moms are bad. Everyone has a different situation and that decision is between them and God. I do however think that if possible, moms should be home with their children. The Bible shows us over & over again that the disciples were "with" Jesus. Jesus instructed them, advised them, and modeled right behavior. He included them. What he almost never did was sign them up for activities & programs. I know we have sacrificed 2 incomes, a larger home, nicer cars, big vacations (all worldly things I might add) for the privilege to be the sole influence in our children's lives. The trade off is far worth it.

Ok, I got off on a tangent. Point is, the book is a good reminder of the biblical role of motherhood. We are to have a heart for God, our Children, our Home, and Eternity. The world has a skewd perspective and the Church needs to rise to the occasion of showing what a blessing our children are and what a privilege it is to be home with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment