Monday, October 19, 2009

Marriage Under Fire

This weekend I read Marriage Under Fire by Dobson. It's an old read..like 2004 but I got a swinging deal at CBD for like 99 cents. Can't pass up a deal like that. So I read the book and my initial reaction was, where was I in 2004? Why didn't I see the target on marriage then? Why didn't I voice my beliefs and defend the federal marriage amendment? Where was I? Seeing the federal marriage amendment did not pass I am sure Dobson will have a new edition of this book because if ever there was a target on marriage, it is now.

The book has so many nuggets of truth and points of interest, I'd like to share a bunch for you to chew on. I may be long winded so hold on....

One of the first realities that I had to face was the fact that the traditional family as we know it is disappearing. I knew this but the reality soaked in. The fight for America to embrace gay marriage is gaining momentum. Dobson points out that "there have been periods of history when homosexuality has flourished, as in the biblical cities of Sodom and Gomorrah, in ancient Greece, and in the Roman Empire. None of these civilizations survived." Just think on that for a moment.

Children are living in chaos and confusion. The next generation is seeing a model of pleasure seeking and lack of commitment and values. In the US, census data shows that in a 10 year span, households headed by single fathers has risen 72%, single mother headed homes have risen 25% and households headed by traditional married couples has decreased 25% . The traditional family unit is disappearing.

Another reality I saw in this writing is that one decision or compromise is never the last. Dobson talks about how the decline in the sanctity of marriage started in 1969 when the first no-fault divorce law was signed and the "till death do us part" covenant became optional. At this moment, the law no longer backed marriage as a permanent social structure and it was only a matter of time before "someone tried to do away with the 'husband and wife' part." The point? Every law that is passed is only the starting point of the spiral. I'm not an alarmist but in my opinion the morality of America is spiraling downward fast.

What are we to do? It was said in the book, and I believe it fully, the threats we are faced with today could be the vehicle used for revival in the church. God's people need to awake to the reality around them and begin an even greater prayer vigil for our nation and for marriage.

My Pastor made a statement that resinated with me last week and sure enough the quote was in this book. Edmund Burke once said, "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." That is so profound to me.

So, the question is will you take action or let evil triumph? Pray for our nation. Pray for marriage. My church holds a once a month marriage prayer shield...start one at your church or find one to attend. Follow the politics involved in the changing of the definition of marriage/family and sign petitions, write letters to Congress, send emails. When developments happen, I will have links on this blog for you to act on.

My last note on this subject is from the book..."while we are out on the front lines engaging the enemies of traditional values, let's not allow our homes, our marriages, to go neglected or undefended. What good will it do to fight the foes of marriage in the city square while our own homes and families are collapsing from within?" I encourage you to start in your home with your marriage. Let "us", the Christian people, not add fuel to the downward spiral of the decline of family. I have lots to say on the Christian marriage of today but that is for another day.

"if my people who are called by my name, would humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land." 2 Chronicles 7:14


No comments:

Post a Comment